Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. is a world leader in Memory, System LSI and LCD technologies. The Memory Solutions Labs (MSL) is part of Samsung’s Memory Business Unit, the industry's technology and volume leader in DRAM, NAND Flash, SRAM memory. We are an integral part of Samsung’s strong R&D focus & lab innovation engine. We work closely with development teams to bring feature innovation to product roadmaps.
We are currently looking for a System Architect intern to join our team in San Jose, CA, and work on leveraging the latest FPGA technologies for near-storage acceleration. The intern will collaborate with a team of experts in researching and developing innovative solutions in the Enterprise, Cloud & Data Center environments. The ideal candidate must have a strong understanding of databases and computer architecture, as well as how to effectively model the performance trade-offs involved. The candidate should also have previous experience with FPGA design.
- Research near-storage acceleration of traditional and NoSQL databases
- Work with FPGA platforms and system software to enable new near storage acceleration applications
- Research architectural trade-offs of server architectures, especially as related to the memory hierarchy and storage systems
- Model and simulate the server system to provide concrete data supporting proposed technologies
- Create new and useful IP, publish at conferences, and generate whitepapers
- PhD candidacy in computer science or equivalent
- Research focus on databases and modern analytics infrastructures
- Familiarity with Spark and the Hadoop ecosystem considered a plus
- Good understanding of computer architecture: server systems, data centers, processors, memory hierarchy, memory subsystems, storage, I/O, networking
- Experience working with FPGA platforms and tools
- Track record of innovation and creativity in problem solving
- Good problem solving skills
- Passion and deep interest in systems research and systems programming
- Research and development experience with modeling and performance analysis
- Strong programming skills in either C/C++, Java, or Scala.
- Excellent collaborative skills, including verbal and written communication
- Must be highly motivated with open mind and willingness to learn from peers
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and understand how to leverage cultural diversity